The Biorefinery Centre offers a one-stop shop for biomass evaluation and valorisation up to pilot scale level with facilities for biomass pretreatment, enzymolysis and bioreactors for liquid, solid and dispersed systems. The Centre also supports start-of-the-art analytical facilities both within the centre and the Institute of Food Research. Please click on the sections below for further information on our facilities or contact us for further information.
- We have equipment ranging from of 1 ml to 30 L allowing treatments up to 230°C in a variety of chemical conditions
- 30 L steam explosion pilot facility
- Facilities for particle size reduction from maceration and shredding to dry and freeze milling.
- We can fractionate wet or dry particles from lab scale to 1000l
- We can perform chemical hydrolysis on the scales of 1 ml up to 30 L
- Our enzyme treatment facilities allow the scale of 1 ml to 2000 L
- Gas Chromatograph (GC) with flame ionisation detector (FID)
- High Performance Liquid Chromatograph (HPLC) with Photo Diode Array Detector (PDA) and Refractive Index (RI) Detector
- Plate reader (96 well plate assays, 200-400nm)
- Plate reader (fluorescence capability)
- uV/vis spectrophotometer (single cuvette)